Unfortunately this automation comes with a price- last night I wanted to play TF2, but could not because of a bug in the Heavy Update. In the old world I would simply roll-back to a previous release, but Steam does not allow that... and I'd be out of sync with the servers.
What was the bug? It didn't actually show up until after I had played the new version for an hour and exited the game. When trying to launch the game again, it failed because it didn't like this file c:\program files (x86)\steam\YourUserName\steamapps
How does a bug like this get past QA? Sure this was a tricky one, but in reading through that thread, you'll see that likely thousands of people were affected by this. Most have Nvidia graphics cards like mine, but I saw some ATI references as well. Some are using Vista, some XP. It seems to me that this release was rushed. What for? It's not like this patch is bringing in more direct revenue for Valve, so why release something that hasn't been fully tested? Why risk breaking my favorite game to add a few new bells and whistles. TF2 was rendered useless and I spent the rest of my evening trying to fix it.
I realize that a QA department cannot catch every error, but I feel like this one could have been prevented had the release not been rushed.
Comments?
1 comment:
How are you supposed to make people taste it when there are bugs?
YYYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment